First off I’d like to say a great, big “thank you!” to FI Big Sky and Slowly Sipping Coffee for nominating me for the Sunshine Blogger Award. Mr. and Mrs. FI are a married couple living under the Big Sky and working in finance, while on their journey to financial independence. Mr. and Mrs. SSC are geologists in H-town, have children, and are also on their journey to financial independence. I enjoy both of their blogs and would definitely suggest you check them out. Now onto the questions!
- What dish would you choose for your last meal? This is a tough one since I love ALL food! I’m a huge fan of anything from burgers and pizza to a nice filet or fancy Italian. But if I had to pick my last meal, I think it would have to be Chicken Parmigiana. Hopefully that chicken breast is pounded to a pulp, add some angel hair spaghetti and extra sauce and voilà. Pair that with a nice bottle of red and follow it with some ice cream from a local dairy farm, and OH BABY!
- How many screens (TV/phone/tablets/etc) do you own – what are they and do you use them regularly? I have an iPhone 6 (work paid for), iPad that I bought myself years ago for passing the CPA exam (I rarely use it and should probably give it away to a good cause or sell it), laptop (work paid for), and a TV in my bedroom and living room. I don’t watch as much TV as I used to but I love watching some Seinfeld or HGTV right before going to bed. I also watch some SportsCenter or CNBC while eating my cereal in the morning.
- Do you have pets, want pets or are pets not your thing? No pets! I love pets, as long as they are other people’s. I had dogs and a cat growing up and loved them, but now I travel a lot and can be at work for over 12 hours some days and it wouldn’t be fair to the pets. And I sure as hell ain’t paying for doggy daycare.
- What kind of climate do you prefer to live in? I love spring and fall. My favorite temperature range is 50 to 75 degrees. I grew up and still live in the northeast which blesses me with four great seasons. I’m just not a big fan of the temperature extremes, hot or cold.
- Do you have something you can’t live without – what is it and why? This one is embarrassing, but I’ll be honest and say it’s my laptop. I would have said iPhone, but I do so much more on my laptop. I work, track finances, write for my blog, read blogs, reddit, plan travel, buy things off Amazon, look at Zillow, etc. It’s just crazy to think about how much information is at our finger tips, and I try to take advantage of it to widen my knowledge base.
- What’s your idea of a great date night? Sorry lady readers but Mr. FF is in a relationship 🙂 We like to mix it up and rarely do the same thing. She lives in a lower cost of living area so we tend to get sushi once every time I visit. We also like to cook (refer back #1), go on walks, get froyo or ice cream, go to the beach, and whatever strikes our fancy that day. I’d be lying if I said a couple brewskis weren’t consumed in those activities.
- What did you want to be when you grew up? A stockbroker. In 5th grade we participated in a stock market project and visited the NYSE on a field trip. The following year, my 6th grade teacher told us a story of his friend who lived in Manhattan, would get picked up every morning in a limousine and get driven down to his highfalutin job on Wall Street. From those two experiences I was mesmerized by anything involving the stock market.
- What is your favorite superhero and why? If you don’t have one, why not? I never got into comics or Marvel characters, so I’d say Superman for sure. Growing up Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman was on all the time and I loved Dean Cain and Terri Hatcher.
- Who is your favorite author? Right now Michael Lewis hands down. I’d have to recommend Liar’s Poker, The Big Short, and Flash Boys.
- What person has had the biggest influence on your life? I don’t think I could point to one person being the biggest influence on my life, but it has been a collection of people that I have had the experience of knowing personally, and also reading about. I try to take other people’s experiences and pick the path and traits that I know would fit me best. This includes being influenced by relatives, friends, other bloggers, and celebrities such as Warren Buffet, Mark Cuban, etc.
- What’s your favorite comfort food when it’s a chill night at the house? Refer to #1 above 🙂
- Thank the person who nominated you
- Answer the questions from the person who has nominated you
- Nominate some other bloggers for this award
- Write the same amount of questions for the bloggers you have nominated
- Notify the bloggers you have nominated
Questions for nominees:
- If you had to have a traditional 9-5 job for the rest of your life, what would you choose do?
- Index funds, real estate, dividend growth stocks, or something else?
- Favorite beer?
- If you have a significant other, how important is their view on your financial independence goals to you?
- If you were to move abroad, what country would it be to and why?
Thanks everyone, looking forward to your responses!